Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Do you need a timeout?

Sometimes, you say things, phrases, idioms or you pick up a mannerism and you have no idea where it came from, where you picked it up, or from whom.


Late last week, we were at the dinner table and talking with Blake.

"Blakey, did you play with your toys today?" I asked. 

"Yes, it was fun.  I played with my truck and we saw a duck by the pool and I gave Mommy a huge."

"Oh, that's great did you have a good day then."

Raising his not-so firm-hand to his forehead, Blake responded with "Yes Sir!" 

Michelle and I couldn't figure out at all where he got a saluting yes-sir from. 


 
Last Saturday, I was playing with Blake and noticed that inside his ear there was a recent scab.  I asked him, "Blakey, you have an ouchies in your ear.  Was it itching, did you pick at it?"

"No Daddy, I don't pick my ear, I pick my nose. " 


James, Michelle's brother, is in town staying with us, before he heads off to Singapore for an internship.  Blake has become his new shadow.  It is pretty funny to watch him following James around the house always wanting to play.  On Sunday while we all sat and ate at the dinner table, I asked Blake a few questions about church.

"Blakey, what was your lesson on in nursery today?" We usually either get the classic response of "Jesus" or no response at all.  But to my surprise, we got: 

"The sacrament"

"Oh, what do you do during the sacrament?" I then asked. 

"You eat"

"Oh, that's right, and what do you eat?"  I asked hoping and praying that he'd say bread and water as I whispered to James, "Watch this." 

But he responded instead with "Gold fishies."

I playfully slapped my hand down on the table and said, "Ohh man, so close." After a short pause, I reminded him that we eat bread and water for the sacrament. 

Blake then said, "Daddy, you bammed your hand on the table, are you mad?"

"No Blakey.  I'm not mad." I reassured him. 

"Daddy, do you need a timeout?  James can you take Daddy to a time out?"

It got a really good laugh. 

That one question though, "do you need a timeout" we do know where it came from.  :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment