Monday, September 10, 2012

Bow Ties, Signs and Dancing


We have our wedding album out on the table for those who want to see it.  Lately Blake has been perusing through it, asking questions and making comments about some of the photos.  So, the other day Michelle and I were sitting at the table and Blake comes into the kitchen with the photos in hand.  He points to the one of me in a tux (kind of weird for a wedding photo I know) and asks, "Daddy, you wore a bow tie?"   Now, Michelle's brother, James, wears a bow tie every week to church (I do not) and we kind of make fun of him for it.  But Blake for sure knows that I don't wear them, so he finds it interesting that I actually have one on. 
I said, "Yes, Buddy.  Mommy wanted me to wear one for our wedding, so I did."
"Wait…..So, Mommy asked you to do something……..and you did it?"
As dads can attest, it's always important that when you stumble upon a teaching moment you take advantage of it and not waste it.  So, I of course jumped on this opportunity.  I said, "You bet buddy.  When mommy asks me to do something, I mind her, I obey.  That makes her very happy. " 
"Ohhh.  And she wanted you to wear a bow tie?  Why?"
So, now what do you say?  Tradition?  The importance of looking your best?  What would work the most efficiently for a 3 year old?  I just opted for a standard well-though- out-answer ,  "Uhhhh, because Mommy asked me to.  " 
So, how'd I do, you might ask?  Did the kid with a thousand questions come up with one more or was he placated? 
Blake then nodded and walked away.   Yes! Success!.  At least for now. 

We try to go on a walk every day.  Sometime we fail or timing doesn't work out.  But we try.  Last week as we were out walking, we passed by this house with a security alarm sign in its front yard.  Aside:  I read an article about 7 years ago that stated about 30% of those signs are just put up to scare away potential burglars--that they don't add in the most important support for the sign, an actual alarm system.  But I digress. 
As we pass by the sign, Blake points to it and says, "That's to keep the bad guys away." 
Michelle and I looked at each other and shrugged.  We don't know where that titbit of information came from. 

Last week, I was in my room getting ready to go to work and Blake walks in.  He sees me almost all ready for work and what would you imagine would be his first question?  You got it. 
"Hey, Daddy.  You going to work today?"
Being the loving father I am I don't whip out a terse remark about Einstein, or Sherlock.  Instead I said, "You bet buddy.  " 
"You gonna drive your car there?" Again, I hold back any sort of biting comment. 
"You got it." 
"Ok, well if you need me, Daddy, while you're at work, you can just call me.  I'll drive Mommy's van over to you and can help out."
"Ohhh.  Okay.  Will Mommy be coming with you?"  I ask. 
"No, just me driving Mommy's van." 
"Oh okay.  I'll do that buddy."
"Good, okay.  So just call me if you need me and I'll drive over."  I think he really thought that part was the important part, hence it's repetition.   I gave him a smile and a big, big hug. 
What a helper huh?    

Finally, I will end with a story about Dylan.  Dylan is growing up so fast it is crazy.  He has picked up a number of new things lately:  standing, straight leg crawling, and shaking his head no. For the last one, he will get a huge grin on his face look at you and shake his eat 3 or 4 times.  It is pretty awesome.  Michelle and I call it  "No, no no." 
So, today, I was dancing in the kitchen while we were preparing dinner--don't judge.  I turned to Dylan and asked"  Hey Dylan, is  Daddy a good dancer?" 
He smiled big and shook his head, no, no no.  Michelle and I laughed pretty good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment