Thursday, May 9, 2019

Texas Bluebonnet Half Marathon and 5k


Several months ago Blake called up Gramps and challenged him to a 5k race. It was the first 5k for both of them. They both trained hard. Blake and I would run before school on Tuesdays and Thursdays and then on Saturday.

The day was beautiful. We had so much ran during the week that had to alter the course a little. The morning started off cool, but it was in the 70s by the end of the race, which is a little warm when you are running a decent distance.

Here are the 5k runners before the race.


Before the race.


I started my half marathon at 8, then the 5k started at 8:15....so I didn't get to see them start or finish because I was out running...for soooo long. 

But we all finished. Grandpa got 1st in his age group. Blake got 5th in his age group. He was kind of bummed because he had just turned 10, putting him in a harder age group. If they ran the race the weekend before, he wouldn't got 2nd. Super proud of him. It was his first on his own because he didn't really stay with Grandpa for very long.

Funny story. Apparently when Blake crossed the finished line he still had his water cup in his hand...this is the water cup that they give you at the water stops, then you toss on the ground. He thought it was littering so he wouldn't toss it, so he just held on to it, then threw it away in the trash can after the finish line. I discussed a lot of strategy with this kid while we were training and we talked about him getting water and how he shouldn't stop just to drink it, but I totally forgot to talk to him about tossing the cup. For some reason it didn't even cross my mind.


I got 1st in my age group and 24nd overall, 4th female. I did a 7:53 minute mile pace. So I know I am never going to be those rock star runners with sub 5 minute miles, but I was happy with my time.



I got my medal. He said that since I won then I deserved a mani/pedi...and also I could eat 1 taco for each mile I ran, so 13 tacos.




I am really proud of Grandpa and Blake!! 

Blake and I are still running before school. Blake really enjoys it and really likes running in the morning before school rather then at night. Aaron says I have created a monster.


We came home, ate lunch, dyed Easter Eggs., went in the spa and then they took the kids out to dinner while Aaron and I went to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment