Monday, April 6, 2015

Aquaman's Wet Underwear Gets a Thumbs Down

For regular readers of the blog, you know we try to stick to a pretty detailed night time schedule with the boys.  One of the questions we ask Dylan daily is if he was able to keep his underwear dry that day.  So last week, during this routine I asked Dylan, "Buddy, did you keep your underwear dry today?"  
He quickly responded, "Yes."
I then gave him "the look" as he had a small accident earlier that day.
I followed-up my look with, "Well, buddy it was wet today, remember, how did your underwear get wet then?"
He gets this real innocent / confused look and says, "Well I didn't, Dad.  I guess it was magical."

The boys like to play a game where they ask us what the name of a super hero is "when he takes off his costume"  We were playing this game the other day and Blake asked,"Dad, what's Aquaman's name when he takes off his costume?"
I ask you, what well adjusted father actually knows the name of Aquaman's secret identify?  I know most of them, but apparently need to brush up on some.
I responded with, "Hmm, I don't know buddy. That's good one."
He immediately responded with, "Well ask Google.  Google will know."
Not sure about you, but I know when I was five I didn't think to ask Google for answers.  Faith in Google, is that a thing?

Michelle and I created a way to get the boys (mainly Dylan) to be reverent during prayers.  Of course, like most parents, we've given the guidance of bowing your head, closing your eyes, folding your arms, etc.   So at the end of each prayer, depending upon how well they've done we give them a thumbs down, a thumbs up or if they are really good two thumbs up.  This has gone on for a while (probably 6 months) so, we're fairly used to it.  However, when we have family or friends over, they ask a few questions when the thumbs pop out after we have a prayer over dinner.
So, last week, I went to get Dylan from his Sunbeam (Sunday School) class and maybe for the first time ever I was there before the teachers were done with their lesson.  I peaked through the window as the class was wrapping up and the prayer was beginning.  Dylan didn't see me as I watched him fold his arms, bow his head, and close his eyes.  Oh what a proud moment, right?  However, shortly after the prayer started, Dylan peaked his eyes through his folded arms and started squirming in his chair as he looked at his classmate.  I moved around to see through the window that his classmate didn't have her head down, arms folded, or eyes closed.  I looked back at Dylan, who's hand shot out with his thumb down.  He then quickly closed his eyes and bowed his head but kept his thumb down.  I, of course, laughed, Trying to be reverent while "letting her know she wasn't".  To the uninitiated, Dylan's actions made little sense, I can only imagine if others saw this little guy during a prayer trying to be reverent but with his hand out and thumb down.  Classic Dylan.

No comments:

Post a Comment