Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Blake's Scriptures


For Blake's 8th birthday, Aaron's folks bought him scriptures. We got him a case. He was so excited to have them, but then about a month later we were driving home from church and I realized that Blake didn't have his scriptures, so I asked him about it. He realized he forgot them at church. Aaron was still at church, so I called him and had him look in his classroom, but he couldn't find them. I called his teacher and asked if she had picked them up, she said she hadn't, but would call her husband who is in the Bishopric and have him look in the lost and found, etc. Well, nothing. We go to church during the week for cub scouts and look everywhere at church for them...nothing. At church the next week the primary presidency finds out about it...the word is out. In the meantime, Blake is praying super hard that he will get them back. Every time we go to church--for scouts, for cleaning, for church, etc....we look for the scriptures. We thought it was weird for the scriptures to just disappear because well, we are at church so people should be a little honest right and turn them in. Oh well, we kept looking. We might have teased Blake periodically for losing his scriptures. This made him pretty sad because well, he is actually a pretty responsible kid.

Sunday morning I get a text from Amy Stott, who is Aaron's cousin who is in another ward that meets in our building. She also is in the primary presidency so she was in the primary room (they are the first ward to meet in that room for that day and we are the last). The text said, I have Blake's scriptures. I'll put them on the back table in the primary room. I texted back and said, "NO WAY!" I told her that they have been lost for a year, etc. I was so worried that they would get lost again, so I asked her if she could hang on to them and I would pick them up from her house...she said sure and was totally shocked that they had been missing that long. I told Aaron, but we didn't tell Blake. We decided we would pick them up on our way home from church and Amy was fine with that. So after church we start heading to Amy's house and Blake asks where we are going. I tell him that I need to go to Amy's house real quick. Well, Blake isn't okay with that response...what are you getting? why do we need to get it now? I don't tell him anything, just that it won't take long. We get to the house and the kids are all excited to see one another, then they give Blake his scriptures (minus the case). He got a big smile. (Note: he didn't seem as excited as I thought he would be so I asked him on our way home and he said that he figured it out on our drive over that we were getting his scriptures..what?!). Amy tells us the rest of the story. She was in the primary room and picked up a garbage bag that seemed empty, she thought it was pretty heavy so decided to look and see what was in the trash bag and pulled out scriptures. She then noticed the name and thought, oh, I know Blake....and  then texted me. Is that amazing or what? We don't know where those scriptures have been for the last year. Coincidence that the one person who decided to look in that trash bag is one of the only people who know Blake in that ward? Nope! We told Blake that his prayers were finally answered...even if it took a year. We told him that it was important for him to have that set of scriptures.

Let me tell you, this kid has those scriptures in his hands since then (except for when he is at school). When we got home from Amy's house we had dinner and told Blake that he should say the prayer so he could thank Heavenly Father for answering his prayer. He said, no, I want to say that prayer on my own later tonight. Monday morning he came down for breakfast and told me to come upstairs, so I did and he showed me some cool stuff that he read his scriptures. He read them when he woke up. The funny thing is that we read scriptures as a family in his room every night so there are plenty of scriptures in his room. Obviously they aren't as cool as his own set though. 

Prayers are answered and Blake was the happiest boy Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment