Saturday, November 26, 2016

Dallas Holocaust Museum & JFK Memorial



A couple weeks ago while the kids were in school, I went to the Dallas Holocaust Museum. There are no pictures allowed so I only have a picture of the outside. This place was obviously depressing, but also very interesting. 

My Dad's Dad (my Grandpa) fought in the war. My Dad has a copy of his war journal, which he sent me a copy of. It is really long, but I read the part of when he went to one of the concentration camp a few days after it was liberated. He described what it was like. So many bodies....I won't go into detail. I found it fascinating to read someone's account of it all who I know. It is so sad what these people went through. 

One of the things that stood out to me was the US role in the matter. The US knew what was going on in the camps, but they didn't do anything. They had documentation in the library of them being notified and  the responses on what to do, which was nothing. There were 2 Senators who caught wind of what was happening and started to get our government to work with the British. They had newspaper articles from the Dallas Morning News during the time...nothing about the camps...a little bit about the Japanese. The newspaper was how people got their news.

Very interesting to see how similar what the Nazi's were doing then as some groups do now.



Right across the street is Dealey Plaza. We didn't have time to go into the JFK Memorial, but we walked around the grassy knoll, etc.


The first shot (first X).


The fatal second shot.


The opened window behind me is the window. Second from the top..right hand side.





The second shot..closer.





It was an interesting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment